Sunday, February 27, 2005

Tofu - pudding/pie filling?

tofu and chocolateI saw a recipe in a magazine for tofu pudding. Sounded simple and easy, and of course, tasty. Also saw something similar on a Good Eats episode. Both recipes were meant to be used as a pie filling.

Since the magazine recipe had only 3 ingredients (1 pkg. firm tofu, drained, 12 oz. melted chocolate chips, 1 tsp. vanilla, blend on high until smooth in a blender), I figured it wouldn't take too long (and it didn't).

tofu puddingI wonder if the resulting texture was correct though. It was more, fudge-like than pudding like. It would've made a great pudding dessert if served right away because it had a fluid texture and was smooth (though slightly bland with a darker chocolatey color). But once refrigerated, the fluid-like texture becomes very firm and thick (and the color lightened). So I'm not sure how this would be in a pie. With cream (or whipped topping) folded in it might make a nice cake filling.

Still..... healthy chocolate? Mmmmm. I think next time I'll add honey (as in the Good Eats recipe) and maybe some Kahlua for added flavor.

If you try this, make sure you drain the tofu well; place wrapped in paper towels with a weight/heavy can on top so the water can drain. Let it drain for about an hour.

Both recipes recommended using a blender but I think I'll try this in a food processor to see if it comes together quicker. Plan to also try using silken tofu to see if that changes the texture after refrigerating.

Overall, this was good. Dense and heavy, but pretty good.

8 Comments:

Blogger Kate said...

Great cooking blog. I think a blog is the perfect format for sharing recipes. I post recipes on my blog, as well as a lot of other things. I have linked to your blog on my site.
Kate

11:45 PM  
Blogger yourwaitress said...

as i am a vegetarian, and like to use tofu in new ways, i have tried similar recipes. i would recommend using silken tofu, it creates a less dense texture. the one you made is great for making healthier truffles though. they hold up well and are might tasty! ;-)

11:06 PM  
Blogger Stephie said...

Thank you Kate :)

That's an excellent suggestion your_waitress... I was trying to think of something other than "cake filling" and it was just out of reach... but you nailed it...truffles! Yes! I think this would be great for truffles.

Definitely the right texture (dipped in something like cocoa or powdered sugar, nuts, mini chocolate chips...) and the smaller size (one bite servings) would make it just right (dense, but in a smaller serving).

10:00 AM  
Blogger (S)wine said...

If you have short attention span, then how do you follow a recipe?

8:29 PM  
Blogger Jack said...

I still think that tofu is what they serve for dinner in hell.

6:44 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

mmmm. not a fan of tofu but your blog makes me hungry.

2:35 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi! Got to your blog via blog explosion. Very cool. Have a great day! :)

4:04 AM  
Blogger Chyrene Pendleton said...

Thank you for the tofu recipe and tips. I eat lots of tofu and I would like to try this one, perhaps with the honey.

11:01 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home