Saturday, February 14, 2009

Popovers

A very merry breakfastA picture sure can be suggestive. I saw a photo of some popovers on Flickr and suddenly wanted to try some. It occurred to me that I'd never made popovers before (or scones for that matter 'till recently) so I'd have to find a recipe (no recipe with the Flickr photo).

No problem there. Lots of recipes out there. I tried this one because it looked easy and you could change the serving size (and have the correct ingredient amounts) with their handy dandy converter.

Slightly under beaten popover but still quite yummyAnd I learned a lesson or two as well -- don't use butter to butter the sides or popovers won't pop, they'll have a sunken in spot on the bottom, use non-stick spray...and don't forget to use the non-stick spray as I did once or the popovers will stick to the muffin tin (I don't have a popover pan).

Also, don't be afraid to mix them well. I always worry about over mixing but in this case a few more beats would've been ok.

Still... they came out very good. They were light, airy, and yummy with butter or jam or both. I'll definitely be making them again. A great weekend treat.

The recipe:

2 eggs
1 cup all-purpose flour
1 cup milk
1/2 teaspoon salt


Popovers fresh from the ovenPreheat your oven to 450F. Grease and flour six custard cups or the cups of your muffin pan. Or, coat with non-stick cooking spray (as I did on the batch that came out the best for me).

In a medium bowl beat the eggs slightly, beat in the flour, milk, and salt, until just smooth. Try not to over beat. Fill your custard or muffin cups 1/2 full.

Bake at 450F for 20 minutes. Decrease the oven temperature to 350F and bake for 20 minutes more. Immediately remove from cups and serve hot.

2 Comments:

Blogger jordan winer said...

Just recently made popovers myself... my kids loved em, then refrigerated the batter to make more the next morning and they were solid cylinders of custard... no air! but still good...
nice pictures too...thanks.
-jordan winer
cookingwillsaveyourlife.blogspot

12:53 PM  
Blogger Angel said...

Looks very taste :)

8:34 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home